[HECnet] OpenVMS on VAXstation 4000/60

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Mon Oct 7 12:13:06 PDT 2013

On Mon, Oct 07, 2013 at 11:48:10AM +0800, Tim Sneddon wrote:

Alpha I'd go with V8.3 and Itanium, V8.3-1H1.   As Brian pointed out V8,4
was the first release post off-shoring.   The work done for this release was
initiated when ZKO was being shutdown and moved to MRO, which too was
promptly shutdown and moved to India.   As someone who has used and observed
some serious issues with this release (which I believe Brian is too) I
would not recommend it at all.   It is my belief that that the goings on at
HP greatly affected the quality.

I have a friend who is a full time VMS admin and boy let me tell you
about the bitching he did when he did his first 8.4 upgrade. He was not
happy at all. :)

-brian