[HECnet] TOPS-10 Node Configuration

G. gerry77 at mail.com
Sat Oct 5 18:55:47 PDT 2013

On Sat, 5 Oct 2013 12:02:15 -0400, Cory Smelosky wrote:

I'm entering NCP from OPR to add node names.   However it keeps telling me
"NCP is not running".

That usually happens when NML is not running either because was not started or
because has stopped. Given that you are using a DECnet-enabled monitor, your
SYSTAT should show something like this:

| Status of T10 DECnet node DIECI at 19:30:29 on 05-Oct-113
|
| Uptime 3352:10:38, 5% Null time = 5% Idle + 0% Lost, 0% Overhead
| 15 Jobs in use out of 120.   15 logged in, 13 detached.
|
| Job       Who         Line#       What     Size(P)   State     Run Time
|
|   1       [OPR]         DET         STOMPR   11+12     SL                         0 01
|   2       [OPR]         CTY         OPR         69+40     HB                         0
|   3       [OPR]           4           SYSTAT   23+SPY   RN                         0
|   7       [OPR]         DET         FILDAE   17           HB                         0
|   8       [OPR]         DET         ACTDAE   66+40     SL                         0
|   9       [OPR]         DET         DAEMON   11+SPY   HB                         0
| 10       [OPR]         DET         QUASAR   123+40   SL                         0
| 11       [OPR]         DET         PULSAR   66+40     HB                         0
| 12       [OPR]         DET         MIC         5+15       SL                         0
| 13       [OPR]         DET         NML         38+135   HB                         0	<--- HERE!
| 14       [OPR]         DET         MX           29+21     HB                         0
| 15       [OPR]         DET         ORION     34+40     SL                         0
| 16       [OPR]         DET         NEBULA   27+40     HB                         0
| 17       [OPR]         DET         CATLOG   147+40   HB                         0
| 18       [OPR]         DET         FAL-10   115+40   SL                         0
| .
| .
| .

If NML is e.g. in TO state (Terminal Output) that means that it encoutered
some error and is waiting for someone to read it and do something...

NML gets automatically started by ORION, which in turn gets started by QUASAR,
which must be listed in SYS:SYSJOB.INI:

| SET DEFAULT ACCOUNT SYSTEM
| LOG
| FILDAE
| LOG
| ACTDAE
| LOG
| DAEMON
| LOG                                         ;GALAXY JOBS
| QUASAR							<--- HERE!
| LOG
| MIC
| NODNAM     ;Loads INI:NODNAM.INI then starts MX

HTH,
G.