[HECnet] VT-62?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Oct 4 18:55:49 PDT 2013

On 10/04/2013 11:23 AM, Lee Gleason wrote:
  The terminals themselves were just largish monitors and keyboard
with an LSI11 system built in (an 11/03 or 11/2 - wasn't an 11/23,
they were too new).

  Even if you had one now, the magic was in the software that was
downloaded from the TMS system, and the server side stuff that ran on
the host 11. Without a TMS11 system to attach to, it would just be a
bulky LSI11 system with no disk. Now, if you added a disk, and
upgraded the processor, it would be the basis for an interesting
desktop system - but it wouldn't provide the real VT71/72 experience.

Indeed.   Then again, the download image would be the big thing -- the
OS support for send/receive of files wouldn't be that big a deal.   But
unfortunately the odds of ever finding it would be very slim >indeed;
I think TMS-11 had a total customer base of perhaps 100 sites, maybe a
little more.   And I assume those things all shut down quite a long
time ago.

Crazily enough, I looked through my old files and found copies of the
terminal download firmware from my old TSM11 system. On the extremely
remote chance anyone ever finds a VT71, VT72, or VT173 (the VT100 shell
version of this terminal series), let me know and I can provide the .LDA
files that they loaded.

  Neat!   I recommend getting copies of that stuff to Al Kossow at Bitsavers.