[HECnet] VT-62?

Lee Gleason lee.gleason at comcast.net
Fri Oct 4 16:23:45 PDT 2013

On Oct 3, 2013, at 1:20 PM, <lee.gleason at comcast.net> wrote:

  The terminals themselves were just largish monitors and keyboard with an LSI11 system built in (an 11/03 or 11/2 - wasn't an 11/23, they were too new).

  Even if you had one now, the magic was in the software that was downloaded from the TMS system, and the server side stuff that ran on the host 11. Without a TMS11 system to attach to, it would just be a bulky LSI11 system with no disk. Now, if you added a disk, and upgraded the processor, it would be the basis for an interesting desktop system - but it wouldn't provide the real VT71/72 experience.

Indeed.   Then again, the download image would be the big thing -- the OS support for send/receive of files wouldn't be that big a deal.   But unfortunately the odds of ever finding it would be very slim >indeed; I think TMS-11 had a total customer base of perhaps 100 sites, maybe a little more.   And I assume those things all shut down quite a long time ago.

Crazily enough, I looked through my old files and found copies of the terminal download firmware from my old TSM11 system. On the extremely remote chance anyone ever finds a VT71, VT72, or VT173 (the VT100 shell version of this terminal series), let me know and I can provide the .LDA files that they loaded.

--
Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR
Control-G Consultants
lee.gleason at comcast.net