[HECnet] VT-62?

Jerome H. Fine jhfinedp3k at compsys.to
Thu Oct 3 05:32:49 PDT 2013

>Dave McGuire wrote:
On 10/02/2013 09:36 AM, Jerome H. Fine wrote:

Another MACRO project was to add additional variants
to the nine KED variants that DEC supports for RT-11
and RSTS/E.  DEC supports the VT100, the VT52 and
the VT62.  I added the VT420 which supports more than
24 lines as I mentioned in my last post.  Having a "terminal"
with 44 lines was a huge advantage when I started to enhance
SDHX.SYS, as I find when I type this post under Netscape
and have about 36 lines in additional to all the tool bars.

  What I'm curious about is why EDT never appeared under RT-11. (or did
it?)  KED is respectable, but EDT is pure heaven.
While RT-11 distributions always included a file named "EDIT.SAV"
(or at least the ones I checked starting at V1 of RT-11 and ending
at V05.07 of RT-11), the last official release of TECO was in V04.00
of RT-11 (and the identical file was also included in the V05.00 and
the V05.07 releases).

The first release of KED that I can find was with V04.00 of RT-11
in 1980.   Thereafter, Ked.SAV was always included in every release.

As for EDT, I have heard of it, but never found any details.   Is there
a LINK you can provide to a manual for EDT?   Briefly, what
additional features did EDT support over KED?   If there were so
many extra features, please pick just 3 or even 2 from EDT that you
especially found to be so much of an improvement over KED?

I know that the standard DEC Ked.SAV release has a very small
cut / paste buffer which I have extended to over 16 KB along with
a working buffer of 22 KB.   That can easily be changed back and
forth as needed if a user requires one of the buffers to be much larger.

At one point, although I knew how to define a MACRO (LEARN),
it was not clear how easy it was to execute that MACRO as many
times as I wanted to, so I no longer need to use TECO for even
complicated repeat things.

The HELP screens were not much help since they did not show the
current status of variable things such as:
(a)   The names of OPEN files
(b)   The current search string
(c)   The current search settings

Since I added support to Ked.SAV for the VT420 with more than
24 lines (the new variant name is K42.SAV), I find K42 to be much
more useful.   It can also handle up to 255 columns, although even
under the Win32 variant of Ersatz-11, the maximum my video card
and monitor will support is 69 lines by 199 columns.   Since I almost
always prefer to use the DOS variant of Ersatz-11, I normally use the
largest screen sizes which my video card supports in FULL   SCREEN:
                     50 lines by 80 columns
                     44 lines by 132 columns

As for the size of a file, KED can handle an input file of up to 16 MB
and an output file of up to 16 MB.

And what is the single feature under EDT which you like the most
which KED does not support?

Jerome Fine