[HECnet] VT-62?

Bob Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Tue Oct 1 14:37:35 PDT 2013

what color is a VT52?

  My VT52s both have a slight yellowish cast, but certainly not "coffee".
They're actually almost exactly the same color as, say, my VT100, VT241 box,
VR241 monitor, or VT220s.   The newer terminals I have, like the VT4xx and
5xx ones, are distinctly off white and have much less of a yellow tint.

  I'm quite sure some of that is due to aging, although it's hard to say how
much.

  And it's probably foolish to assume that they were all exactly the same
color even when new.   I imagine there was a significant variation in color
between different lots of plastic pieces.

  [When I did the SBC6120 I tried very hard to match the colors of the
original 8/E front panel, and I even went as far as to borrow about four
faceplates for comparison.   The trouble was, they weren't at all the same
colors!   Again, some of it is aging but I also don't think DEC controlled
that carefully for the paint colors in those days.]

Bob