[HECnet] Humour - Unix Haters Guide now up on CHIMPY:: !

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Oct 4 03:35:56 PDT 2013

On 10/03/2013 10:32 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
I'm not saying I hate linux for servers...I just hate RHEL and Red Hat
as a company. ;)

Oh ok.   I'll back you on that point.   (though they were nice enough to
give some very fine hardware a few years ago...)

How much junk mail do they send after giving the hardware? ;)

Huh?   I didn't get any.   But then I don't think they ever had my
address.

Ah.   I get lots of junk mail and email from 'em after trying their
stupid Linux certification practise tests.   They were not vender agnostic.

  Gross.   I hate junk mail.   No, I went to their headquarters with a
truck and picked up some big iron.   One of their guys has my email
address, but they never got my postal address.   It's different now anyway.

I can agree with that.   One just can't get much better than "apt-get".

I'd agree.   While apt-get isn't my favourite of the package managers
(does it support delta package updates yet?) I willl certainly prefer it
to yum. (You should poke at alpine's APK if you like apt-get)

Nah...I'll learn it if I need to, but right now I don't.   I have lots
of other stuff that I need to digest.

Ahh.   It has a plan to work on embedded stuff.   You might need it one day.

  Hmm.   I tend to program on bare metal, or with a lightweight RTOS (see
FreeRTOS, I've used that in a number of designs), I generally don't
embed Linux.

  But that sort of package management in that environment sounds like a
nice idea.