[HECnet] Slightly OT: DECTape support in SIMH VMS?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Sep 29 15:13:19 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-29 15:44, Clem Cole wrote:

      On 2013-09-29 14:48, Sampsa Laine
      VMS have never supported DECtape, as far as I know...

sounds reasonable as I have forgotten but I thought vms may have
supported the funky cartridge tape unit on the 750 console.   I just
remember it was a PITA to work with.   I also remember b*tching about how
brain dead it was in the lunchroom one day only to have the guy that
wrote much if it sitting behind me - as Garrison Keiler says:   "today's
embarrassing moment is tomorrow's funny story. "

You are right about that thing, but that was a "DECtape II". No relation to a DECtape. And yes, that device sucked in more ways than most.

That said, I agree as my memory was that 9-track was the traditional
sneaker-net medium.

Indeed.