[HECnet] Slightly OT: DECTape support in SIMH VMS?

Bob Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Sun Sep 29 14:51:24 PDT 2013

Clem Cole wrote:
I thought vms may have supported the funky cartridge  tape unit on the 750
console.

  That's a TU58 (I believe it was actually called "DECtape-II").   That's
supported by pretty much all versions of VMS.   The driver was removed from
some of the recent versions, but it's easy to add back.   The only special
hardware (on the VAX side) required by the TU58 was a serial port, though.

  The traditional DECtape (those little reels of tape) was a different
thing.

Bob