[HECnet] Slightly OT: DECTape support in SIMH VMS?

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Sun Sep 29 14:25:02 PDT 2013

VMS have never supported DECtape, as far as I know...

Oh, bummer, always wanted to play around with DECtape :)

The easiest way to transfer files between a PDP-11 and VAX would of course be DECnet, but in case you wanted to do it on a physical storage medium, the popular choices were RL02 or 9-track tape.

But potentially, RK06, RK07, RM02, RM03, RM05, RP04, RP05, RP06 and RA60 were also pretty usable.

Let's say I run RSX-11 on the PDP-11, what file system (I believe the PDP supports some level of Files-11) should I INIT the disks to? Can I INIT the disk on the RSX side and write to it on the VMS box?

As for DECNET: Yes, that's obviously the sane way to do it. This is more of a "do it for the sake of doing it" type of an idea..

And don't forget floppies...

True. Are there any 8" floppy emulators available on SIMH? :) I don't want to use anything boring..