[HECnet] Slightly OT: DECTape support in SIMH VMS?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Sep 29 14:18:28 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-29 14:48, Sampsa Laine wrote:
I noticed that the SIMH PDP-11 distribution contains emulation of TC11/TU56 DECtape drives. My questions are:

	- How hard would these be to port to the VAX SIMH emulation?
	- Do modern VMS (e.g > 7.0) OSes support DECtapes?

I figure it would be a nice way to transfer files between a PDP-11 and VAX system for example..

VMS have never supported DECtape, as far as I know...

The easiest way to transfer files between a PDP-11 and VAX would of course be DECnet, but in case you wanted to do it on a physical storage medium, the popular choices were RL02 or 9-track tape.

But potentially, RK06, RK07, RM02, RM03, RM05, RP04, RP05, RP06 and RA60 were also pretty usable.

And don't forget floppies...