[HECnet] VT-62?

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 02:17:45 PDT 2013

Hello!
And most of you wonder why I'm still interested in finding a (or any
of them) PDT-11 units. There's something about them that makes me
think of the phrase cute.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com

From: Bob Armstrong <bob at jfcl.com>

What can be done (non-destructive suggestions only, please) with a
VT-62?   This is NOT a VT52 (although it looks like one).   The VT62 is a
block mode terminal that, I think, actually speaks DDCMP.   AFAIK it's
incapable of being a plain ASCII terminal unless there's some hack I'm
unaware of.

Have you tried it?   I had a VT62 on my PDT-11/150 in college and I know
there was supposed to be a block mode, but it also worked fine as just a
VT52 clone, but with a speaker for keyclick/^G instead of a clacker, ESC T
switches you to reverse video and ESC U switches you back, and after column
72 there are tabs at every column.   Other than that it's exactly a VT52 IIRC.

No idea if mine had been jumpered or had the ROMs switched or anything
to make it so normal.   I bought it from an ex-DEC-employee (DEC dumped
a lot of the PDTs to their own employees) and I suppose it's possible
he got a special version.

John Wilson
D Bit