[HECnet] Humour value alternative to DCL - a port OS/390 ISPF to VMS :)

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Mon Sep 30 10:32:50 PDT 2013

On 30/09/2013 08:38, Jordi Guillaumes i Pons wrote:
El 30/09/2013, a les 9:17, Sampsa Laine <sampsa at mac.com> va escriure:

On 30 Sep 2013, at 08:22, Jordi Guillaumes i Pons <jg at jordi.guillaumes.name> wrote:

After thinking a little bit more, there is already a DEC equivalent to iSPF, complete with its panels, menuing system, file template system and (weird) scripting language. I'm thinking about ALLIN1 ;)

I'd _LOVE_ to run ALLIN1 on my VAX cluster, as the hobbyist licenses apparently include a PAK for it.

But I gather it's rather painful to install?
It is.

Jordi Guillaumes i Pons
jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
HECnet: BITXOV::JGUILLAUMES

There isn't actually a license for ALL-IN-1 in the hobbyist packs. What you're seeing is license for clients rather than the application itself.

I have a soft spot for ALL-IN-1 as I got quite familiar with it when I was working for British Gas and for the most part it worked well. Didn't play nicely with any other software very well.

I have installed it on several VAXEN and it isn't too much of a PITA standalone. It is the integration with SMTP mail and other mail systems where I've always failed to get it working.

Was funny sending some emails to comp.os.vms with it however. Got everyone's backs up with the overly verbose headers - INTERNAL MEMORANDUM etc. Proper old school ;)

Mark.

--
    http://www.wickensonline.co.uk
    http://hecnet.eu