[HECnet] Connecting to HECnet from DEC Legacy 19-20 Oct

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Sun Sep 29 22:15:16 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-29 23:06, Brian Hechinger wrote:
To work behind a NAT box you'll need to be able to pass SNMP and GRE
through to the DECbrouter. If you can do that you'll be golden.
GRE doesn't run over a port, it's a Layer 4 (transport) protocol.

Oooo, how I hate it when people try to make the IP stack line up with the OSI model... :-)
They are *incompatible*.

THe OSI model is pretty much a load of BS.   3 layers can be condensed to about 1 and one of them just doesn't exist.

SNMP is 161.

That is port 161 in both UDP and TCP.

Sorry, I just felt like nitpicking today. Grumpy I guess. Call me an old fart. :-)

Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff
http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects