[HECnet] Connecting to HECnet from DEC Legacy 19-20 Oct

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Mon Sep 23 12:02:15 PDT 2013

On 23/09/2013 02:43, Sampsa Laine wrote:
sampsa	<sampsa at mac.com>
mobile +358 40 7208932

On 23 Sep 2013, at 03:05, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:

It's hard to describe Multinet with words that are printable.   It was designed by fools who never bothered to understand the DECnet architecture specifications and were utterly clueless about competent protocol design.   Avoid it if at all possible.

GRE tunneling is a good answer.   (So is SIMH DMC emulation, if both ends can speak it.)

Speaking of SIMH v4, I came across this in github:

Add sim_video and VAX QVSS (VCB01) Monochrome Video Board from Matt Burke

Does this mean we'll get a graphical version of SIMH VAX?

sampsa

Matt is an attendee of DEC Legacy and always brings a smorgasboard of VAX goodness. I'm going to ask him if he'll do a talk on his SIMH video support work this time, but he's not big into giving presentations so I don't know which way he'll go.

His page on these enhancements to SIMH is here: http://www.9track.net/simh/video/

Regards, Mark.