[HECnet] VT escape code screen editor

Jerome H. Fine jhfinedp3k at compsys.to
Mon Sep 30 03:03:16 PDT 2013

>Mark Wickens wrote:
If I wanted to go all bling like some of you lot and have a fancy welcome message, does anyone know of a VT escape code screen editor which will allow me to design a welcome message to end all welcome messages?
If by a VT escape code screen editor, you mean
a program which will display the message exactly
as the final display and convert the text to a file
when finished, I have not know of such an
application for any operating system I have used.

The second option is an ordinary text editor with
ONE special provision - the <ESC> character is
displayed as a standard display character.   Both of
the editors that I use under RT-11, KED and TECO,
convert the <ESC> character to a "$" for display
purposes.   You then are responsible for building
the rest of the text based on the escape sequences
detailed in the programmer's manual for the VT
which you are using.   Under RT-11, the user then
issues the command to TYPE the file in order to
test the results.

The third option is to write an actual program to
display the text.   If the welcome message is to be
part of the application, that may be the best option.
The reason it may be the best is that graphics
characters may be difficult to handle by the second
option.

If you can use some additional help, ask some
more questions.

Jerome Fine