[HECnet] Non ASCII fonts on VMS?

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Sat Sep 28 10:45:38 PDT 2013

On 28 Sep 2013, at 11:39, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
On 2013-09-28 11:33, Sampsa Laine wrote:
If I type the document locally and upload it via Kermit, it sort of works.

Unfortunately it doesn't keep the ligatures which makes it more or less useless for Arabic :)

How do you verify that it "works"? What does the document look like on the Mac? I mean, if you really look at all the bytes. What did you use to create it?

The letters are all there, but they're not correctly connected (ligatures) - again, probably a Terminal.app problem, VMS is storing them just fine.

I've attached two PNGs - what the correctly formatted Arabic should look like and how Terminal.app displays it. But yeah, I don't think this is a VMS issue, it seems to happily accept any script thrown at it :)

It would work for Hebrew though

You will most likely have similar issues with any document using any characters beyond ASCII, since I bet you have a UTF-8 encoded Unicode text on the Mac.

In Hebrew there are no ligatures so as long as the letters made it, Terminal.app can't mess it up :)