[HECnet] Hooking up TOPS-20 to HECnet?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Sep 23 20:28:38 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-23 20:07, John Wilson wrote:
From: Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com>

I think you are right, but my memory is fuzzy on all this now.     IIRC with
the MIT/BBN pager modification, KA10's could run ITS or TENEX (aka twinex -
which was the Tops-20 pre-cursor ).

I'm 99.99% sure the BBN and MIT pagers are unrelated, even though they were
both built for the KA10 and around the same time.   TOPS-20 and ITS paging are
certainly different universes.

I can add that additional 0.01% in that case. And TWENEX was just the joking name for TOPS-20 used by non-DEC people to hint at the heritage from TENEX that TOPS-20 had.

KA10 could run ITS or TENEX. KA10 was never able to run TOPS-20.

I know someone wrote some text about the KL pager microcode which went through some of these details, but I can't find that text right now.
(I think it was the KL pager, but maybe it was the KS)