[HECnet] Hooking up DECUSERVE / EISNER to HECnet?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Sep 26 15:19:55 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-26 14:16, Sampsa Laine wrote:

While I did have an account on Deathrow, I was not all that familiar with
the users thereof.

The encourage security research, it attracts a certain type of person that I don't want on my LAN (trust me, I used to be a penetration tester :) )

The problem is that if you want to be paranoid, then you should not be
connected to HECnet at all.

DECnet is a very bad protocol when it comes to network security.

It's not any worse than TCP/IP.

You might right about that. The issue is possibly more about the applications that runs on top of it. It's at the same level as telnet and ftp, which are pretty much frowned upon nowadays. (I like those protocols, but I can see the issues with passwords in clear text, for example.)

But I wonder about a bunch of things like the equivalent of SYN attacks in DECnet for example... But actually, that is not so much about the protocols as the implementations.