[HECnet] Public access?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Sep 25 01:14:37 PDT 2013

On 24 September 2013 22:30, Mark Wickens <mark at wickensonline.co.uk
<mailto:mark at wickensonline.co.uk>> wrote:

      I'll mirror whatever we come up with on http://hecnet.eu as a static
      page, can't see given our pace of change that it's going to get out
      of date quickly!

      Hecnet.eu has been a bit I unreliable lately as I've moved over to
      the mikrotik router but it should be fairly stable now and my
      interest in dec kit is waxing again.

      Mark

      http://www.wickensonline.co.uk
      http://declegacy.org.uk
      http://retrochallenge.net
      https://twitter.com/#!/%40urbancamo

      <mailto:bqt at softjar.se>> wrote:

        >> On 2013-09-24 22:07, Brian Hechinger wrote:
        >>> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 10:01:06PM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
        >>>
        >>> Yuck. While I won't prevent someone from doing this, regularly
      scraping
        >>> that file, hoping for a standardized, usable format, seems
      optimistic
        >>> and heavy. :-)
        >>
        >> Yes, we keep trying that. It keeps failing. :)
        >
        > Yes. Also, it would be nice with a little more massaged
      information about public resources. Assembling something from
      one-liners really isn't what I was thinking of.

        >>> Seems noone have such a web resource around, so I guess I'll
      drop the
        >>> idea for now.
        >>
        >> I can offer up a web server. It's FreeBSD though. :)
        >
        > As far as that goes, I could do that on RSX...
        >
        >>> There was someone who (for a while?) tried to have a network
      map around.
        >>> Is that still up somewhere? It would be even nicer to get something
        >>> superimposed on a real map.
        >>
        >> I'm still going to be working on it. It's been sitting on the
      sidelines
        >> waiting for Paul to get NICE support written into his DECnet
      stack he's
        >> written in python. The current mapper works fine so long as it's
      only
        >> DEC OSes involved. Cisco (and Rob's router) break it and I
      haven't found
        >> a good solution to that while trying to run it on VMS (there are
      some
        >> limitations such as paramiko not working on VMS).
        >>
        >> I will get back to it. I promise. :)
        >
        > Ah.
        > Well, yes, it's a nice project. Would be neat to get it working
      more completely.

        >       Johnny

If people follow a standard CSV format surrounded by tags, converting that to a HTML list/table is like 10 lines of Python, max.

It was not what I was looking for, but feel free to do it anyway.
Also, it's probably not even 10 lines of code in IND to do the actual parsing of such lines. A little more to do the basic layout and headers of a page. But like I said, that kind of a page was not what I was thinking of.

Oh well. No worry. It was just an idea I had. Since people on comp.os.vms was looking for alternative sites with public access VMS with guests, I was thinking about if HECnet could be it.
But essentially, this is people who might be looking for machines with certain versions of OS, certain hardware platform, looking for certain tools, or cluster setups, or possibly other interesting resources available.

Since it seems the general public are having a hard time keeping such resources available, and it would seem that there are some here who are pretty good at it (or so I'd like to believe), maybe getting more users and usage could be a cool thing. But it might be a negative thing as well, so I'm not going to pursue this anymore right now.