[HECnet] SHARK ATTACK! for PDP/11

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Sep 18 15:06:11 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-18 12:53, Mark Wickens wrote:
On the run up to DEC Legacy can anyone furnish me with information about
a game called 'SHARK ATTACK' which I believe was available on the
PDP/11. My school friend and I used to played this game via an acoustic
coupler and an ASR/33 connected to the local college's PDP (which I
think was an 11 of some description).

Are there any other PDP games that people have or can remember? We
definitely played more than just SHARK ATTACK but I don't remember any
others and my friend is also coming up a blank. Source code would be
great - I can probably port to VAX/VMS if required.

We are due to have two restored ASR33's coming to DEC Legacy, it's
definitely an opportunity not to be missed!

MTREK? That is a multi-user Startrek game for RSX. Probably not useful on an ASR33 though. I think I have a Pac-Man and some other video games as well. Also not very usable on an ASR33. :-)

And we obviously have ADVENT and DUNGEON. Just look through old DECUS catalogs.

Or just run through "101 Basic computer games" by Dave Ahl. He's an old DECcie, who wrote that book while still working on PDP-11 systems.

As for more modern stuff, I have a Z-machine emulator, so you can play pretty much all Infocom games on RSX and RT-11. I don't think it works on RSTS/E at this point, simply because noone went through the effort to write the bits to get it working there.