[HECnet] Slightly OT - USB serial controllers that work in Linux?

Tue Sep 10 15:10:25 PDT 2013

On Sep 10, 2013, at 4:30 AM, Sampsa Laine <sampsa at mac.com> wrote:

So I'm toying with the idea of putting a Raspberry Pi + LCD screen + keyboard into an old Intertec (?) SuperBrain case, for use as a beefed up terminal (basically have it boot Linux, run SIMH and load VMS or something).

Any of you guys got a recommendation as to what USB-serial adapter works best in Linux?

I have used two, both of which work fine with Linux on a PC: the FTDI "chip in the cable" adapters, and one made by TrippLite (sold at Staples).

However, neither was recognized by my BeagleBone (which runs ARM Linux,   ngstr  m distribution).   That may well be just a case of not having the right modules installed.   I don't use Raspberry PI (I prefer the open hardware that I get with BB) but since it too is ARM the situation might be the same.   Then again, BB also comes with a Ubuntu distribution, which might have the necessary USB modules included as standard.

Finally, again on BB, there's an additional option: that device has 6 built-in UARTs, of which 5.5 are available on connectors (one on a 6-pin "debug" header, the rest on the 2x46 pin expansion connectors).   Those are 3.3 volt logic levels, but you can get, or build, RS232 adapters for them.   I just built a 4 port RS232 adapter, in fact.   So with that, you don't need any USB devices at all and the stock small OS build is sufficient.

	paul