[HECnet] Which is THE dec printer?

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Wed Jan 15 16:10:18 PST 2014

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014, Dave McGuire wrote:

On 01/15/2014 06:57 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
Note that these are larger-than-normal racks, and they're very
difficult to move.   They weigh about 1200lbs.   I've moved a pair of
these machines by myself without proper equipment, and thus at great
personal risk, to my old place a few years ago.   I did so out of
necessity.   The story (with pics) is here:

http://www.neurotica.com/wiki/Sun_Fire_6800_Unload

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.   I could very easily have gotten killed in
that operation.   "Regular" racks are one thing...these weigh well over
half a ton, and are a different matter entirely.

Well, I'll stick it in the room where a piano used to sit.   It should
hold there. ;) (Also no need for stairs, then.)

Measure the doorways.   I have to rent special trucks to move 6800s due
to their height.   If memory serves, they are 76" tall.

I think that would barely fit.   Maybe i'll want to build a little shed for it. ;)

I could also fairly easily rig something up with a switch to change
between that and the oven, then...as nowhere else would I have minimum
30A service save for upstairs and the air conditioner. ;)

You'll have to do more than that.   That machine has FOUR 230V 30A
power cables.   It can run on two.

That would be a bit harder to manage. ;)

Getting to 230V is easy.   Getting to 230V with 30A each is harder.

Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff
http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects