[HECnet] Decent OS X terminal that'll let me keys?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Jan 6 02:51:25 PST 2014

On 2014-01-06 11:22, Sampsa Laine wrote:
On 6 Jan 2014, at 00:05, "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <system at TMESIS.COM> wrote:

Sampsa Laine <sampsa at mac.com> writes:

Yeah, thinking of going that route, even though Xterm does look like =
crap and isn't really well integrated into the rest of OS X.

As a bonus, I'll get Erik's SIXEL support too..

What are you going to use it with?

I was actually just looking to get access to the editing + numeric keypad, which it turns out that both Terminal.app + iTerm have built in. So I'm just gonna stick with those - I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I _STILL_ haven't found anything so buggy as to be memorable in 5+ years of using Terminal.app.

Might be different on the VMS version compared to RSX, but EDT in RSX sometimes use DECCOLM. At which point, your screen gets totally FUBAR using Terminal.app...

It'd be nice if it did SIXEL graphics, though, but again, I use those maybe once a year.

That's more often than I do. :-)

If VMS, you can't beat "$ CREATE/TERMINAL" if what you're seeking is DEC
terminal emulation.
With create/terminal you get into the fun of multiple clipboards again.

Yes, since that will once again be an X application, which works just like any other X application.

You need to setup a font server or copy the DEC fonts
to your MAc, create the font library and setup the path.

A simple, sane, user-friendly solution in the traditional Unix tradition :)

It is all very simple, and sane. You just have to try avoid using various proprietary solutions that mess things up... :-) It's when you mix those in that things becomes insane.