[HECnet] Decent OS X terminal that'll let me keys?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Jan 5 12:40:56 PST 2014

On 01/05/2014 01:44 PM, Sampsa Laine wrote:
Yeah, thinking of going that route, even though Xterm does look
like crap and isn't really well integrated into the rest of OS
X.

Looks like crap? Not sure I agree with that. It does not have a lot
of eye candy and similar drivel. Instead it just looks like a
terminal - which is what I think it should look like.

Ok, that's a tad harsh, but let's say it doesn't visually integrate
well with the rest of the UI. If I didn't care about this stuff I
wouldn't be on an OS X box, but seriously, the xterm UI is abysmal
(Want to change the font or say background colour? Oh, edit
.Xresources - WTF?!?).

  Wow.   You're a highly technical computer professional, and you can't
be bothered to...EDIT A FILE?

  Wow.   Just...wow.

  For the ONE TIME you have to do it, it takes five minutes.   I created
my .Xresources file probably twenty years ago and haven't touched it
since.   It gets migrated from machine to machine, and everything JUST WORKS.

  BTW, I ran OS X for many years...from 10.1 until 10.7 hit the streets.
(I never ran 10.7...I didn't go past 10.5 myself, because 10.6 really
started to suck and it seems to have gotten steadily worse from there)
For a long time, OS X was the best way to get a fast GUI-enabled UNIX
desktop machine.   Sadly that time has passed, but when I was running it,
my X server started when the machine started up, and I ran X and native
OS X applications side-by-side with excellent integration via Xquartz.
Everything just worked, no complaints.

  And Xterm didn't look all that different from Terminal.app.   I wonder
what's so broken about your machine that it DOES look different.