[HECnet] Cisco Tunnel Update

Tim Sneddon tim at sneddon.id.au
Wed Jun 4 02:20:03 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 8:05 AM, Peter Lothberg <roll at stupi.se> wrote:
> My tunnels to you have been administratively shutdown as they have never
> been up before.

Why are there tunnels that are shutdown?

I shut them down as the tunnels were configured, but your end never came up.   It has been mentioned a few times on the list, but nothing seemed to change.   So, rather than put the configuration in a note somewhere (and lose it) I just shut them down.

(I can't grasp the concept, it's either up and working, or not at all?)
> shutdown".   Here is the configuration in my router for the tunnels to you:

When I do something like "show decnet interfaces" those tunnels that are not working show up as 2 lines, rather than several.   There are other reasons too, but this is what works for me :-)

> tunnel source FastEthernet0/0
You can put an IP address here, the same way as destination, and I
could check if I had teh corresponding tunnel.

I don't use the IP as my Cisco 1841 (previously a DECbrouter90) is behind a Cisco 800.   However, my static IP is:  120.146.225.243.

>   tunnel path-mtu-discovery

This does *NOT* work on the boxes I have, they are to small to run the
newer SW. (This is a no_op anyway, as there is no fragmentation code,
if the path_mtu is smaller than 576+gre+ip, packet is lost...)

I had the same issue when I was originally running my DECbrouter90 (before the power supply gave up).   I have switched this option off.

Regards, Tim.