[HECnet] Same MAC address on different nodes

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun May 25 15:59:13 PDT 2014

On 2014-05-25 16:41, Jean-Yves Bernier wrote:
At 4:05 PM +0200 25/5/14, Johnny Billquist wrote:

Besides playing around, which I admin is awfully fun, the reason for
using DECnet was to transfer big files (tens of megabytes). So I am out
of luck for now, but I haven't said my last word.

Like I said before. I would start by examining various counters on the
machines to get more understanding of what the problem is, and then
try to solve it from there.

I know that different network interface speeds mess things up, for
example, and I have code in my bridge to help get around the problem
if the bridge is sitting between the systems.

I suspect a timing problem.

Yes. Me too. That is why I would check various counters, to identify in more detail where the timing issues are.

How do you explain that:

NFT TI:=REMOTE::FILE

works 9 times over 10, but

NFT FOO=REMOTE::FILE

hangs every time?

The later is faster.

I do not exclude a vector mis-configuration, although the system should
be unusable.

I assume they all "work". However, the speed to complete the commands might differ a lot.