[HECnet] Same MAC address on different nodes

Jean-Yves Bernier bernier at pescadoo.net
Sun May 25 15:41:16 PDT 2014

At 4:05 PM +0200 25/5/14, Johnny Billquist wrote:

Besides playing around, which I admin is awfully fun, the reason for
using DECnet was to transfer big files (tens of megabytes). So I am out
of luck for now, but I haven't said my last word.

Like I said before. I would start by examining various counters on the machines to get more understanding of what the problem is, and then try to solve it from there.

I know that different network interface speeds mess things up, for example, and I have code in my bridge to help get around the problem if the bridge is sitting between the systems.

I suspect a timing problem.
How do you explain that:

NFT TI:=REMOTE::FILE

works 9 times over 10, but

NFT FOO=REMOTE::FILE

hangs every time?

The later is faster.

I do not exclude a vector mis-configuration, although the system should be unusable.

--
Jean-Yves Bernier