[HECnet] OVMS AXP emacs?

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Fri May 30 19:54:45 PDT 2014

"Bob Armstrong" <bob at jfcl.com> writes:

I've been trying for a day now to build the emacs21_2 that's on the
FREEWARE v8 CD.   It's a joke - I don't think it ever worked on VMS.   The MMS
files don't work with MMS anymore - you must use MMK.   There's some elisp
file called p4 missing - don't know what that's for.   The termcap doesn't
contain ANY vtxxx terminals (talk about a major bummer!).   The image is
linked with /TRACEBACK and therefore can't be installed privileged (which is
exactly what their setup script does).

I persevered and fixed all those, but now emacs crashes with an ACCVIO
whenever I try to read a file.   That's gonna limit its usefulness as a text
editor J

I really don't want to debug this thing.     Please!

Thanks,

Bob

FYI, 19.28 (IIRC) was the last Emacs that would build on OpenVMS.   I was
tasked, at one time, to try porting 21.something but I gave up because of
the stupid CONFIGURE brain damage.

Newer efforts of the GNV group might offer an environment that's better
suited for building later emacs.   However, if the open source community
would cease with the "all-the-world's-a-unix" mentality, things such as
emacs might stand a chance on VMS.

Personally, I'm happy with vi on unix and EDT on VMS.   Emacs is just way
too heavyweigh with unnecessary features.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker       VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG