[HECnet] RSX-11 booted!

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu May 22 13:30:23 PDT 2014

On 2014-05-22 14:20, Cory Smelosky wrote:
On Thu, 22 May 2014, Johnny Billquist wrote:

I've never seen a board with the ability to disable parity...

It's a clearpoint board.   Technically it's just disabling the parity
circuitry CSR.

The "***EXEC PARITY ERROR STOP***" message is when you get a parity
error in the memory where the kernel resides.
RSX can deal with memory errors in other parts of the memory, by just
making that memory unavailable for programs to use. But it cannot do
this with the parts that the kernel use, so then it panics instead.

Ahh.   Damn.   I'd be okay if the only other memory board I had spare
wasn't PMI.

PMI? As the the PMI memory boards for the 11/83?

Yup!

Nice.

Did you know that those memory boards work just fine as normal Qbus
memory boards? :-)

THAT I did not know!   Looks like I have a spare.

Indeed. Those memories are funny. If you put them in an 11/83, they either act as Qbus memory or PMI memory, depending on if you place them before or after the CPU. And that makes a speed difference...

Of course, for all other type of systems, you'll have to place them after the CPU.

There's that 16K board...I could adjust the memory offsets.

Ugh! 16K is not much...

Nope...but MAYBE just enough to fit the lower bits of the executive?

Maybe. But I think that PMI memory is a better option. :-)