[HECnet] RSX-11 setback

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed May 21 01:38:53 PDT 2014

On 05/20/2014 08:33 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
Yeah!   It smoked the   VAX II! It could've been user error...but how
the hell could I plug the breakout in wrong and have it smoke?!

Starting to think the backplane mayyyyy be wonky.

Oh. it's just 18-bit.   It has a copyright date of March 1977.

NETCOM HV-1148.

Oh, THAT box!   Shit, one doesn't take an 11/03 and shove a MicroVAX in
it.   Sure, it's Qbus, but there's a decade between them, man!

I didn't know it was /that/ old!   I thought it was a newer box just with
an 11/03 in it!

  Seriously.   Those boxes were sold as 11/03s.

To be honest...the linear supply should've given it away.

  Yes.

Now...I DO need a Q22 box.   That leaves me a custom-made BA23 enclosure
or a BA123.

  Well, there are also 3U BA11 Qbus chassis with 22-bit backplanes.   And
18-bit ones...which you can turn into 22-bit ones. ;)   My first
MicroVAX-I ran in one of those, back in the 1980s.