[HECnet] RSX-11 setback

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue May 20 21:45:41 PDT 2014

On 2014-05-20 20:08, Cory Smelosky wrote:

boo [1,54]rsx11m

SYSTEM CRASH AT LOCATION 014402

REGISTERS

  R0=000002 R1=120550 R2=000000 R3=120546

  R4=120744 R5=031610 SP=117772 PS=020010

SYSTEM STACK DUMP

  LOCATION CONTENTS

    117772     000004

001344

That is a very weird and unexpected stack pointer. RSX normally have the stack in rather low addresses.

Wonder if it's related to the tape controller that isn't actually technically present.

I would not think so. If you have a device driver for something that there is no hardware for, the device should just become offline.

Not sure exactly what you configured, but maybe something wrong in all your answers... :-)

I'll grab the log when back at my desk.

That could help. :-)

After reboot:

boo [1.54]rsx11m
MCR -- Task not in system
ins $boo
boo [1,54]rsx11,\,\m
[no output]

I seem to be TERRIBLE and SYSGEN.

Well, since the initial boot failed, any subsequent boots of that image I would expect to fail equally bad.

It could have been unclean memory at some random address. This system also tends to randomly crash on first-time boots, too sometimes. A couple halts and it usually works then.

What garbage that might be left in memory should not be a problem. Memory always have content...