[HECnet] RSTS/E is really picky

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed May 21 00:18:26 PDT 2014

On 2014-05-21 01:11, Dave McGuire wrote:
On 05/20/2014 07:04 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
        Didn't you advise me against running M+ on an 11/24 for reasons
of no
split I/D space?   It's not that it won't work, it's that it won't be
pleasant.   M (non +) runs great on F11-based systems anyway.

I don't know (remember) what I might have said. But depending on
different things, running M+ on an 11/23 or 11/24 can be a little
painful. But running 11M in general is more painful than M+ anyway, so I
would at least recommend trying M+.

      Well, I have a personal desire to run M...I ran it for many years
25-30 years ago, and I like it.   I've never had much experience with M+.
    I will definitely run M+ on the machines I have that are capable of
running it, though.

M+ is really nothing strange if you're used to 11M. It is just much
nicer, more capable, and generally faster...

    ...and won't run on my 11/34, for example. ;)   (I *think*...right?)
Remember, while I do use simh quite a bit, I'm primarily based on real
hardware here, and I can't do "set cpu .." on that. ;)

Well, yes, M+ does not officially support the 11/34.
However, there was a third-party (or several) that added a 22-bit MMU to the 11/34, looking like an 11/24.
And you could of course try to generate an unsupported M+ system with 18-bit addressing. I have never tried it in practice, but there is code inside M+ for this thing...

(That said, without split I/D-space, you'll have preciously little
pool
space, but that might not be a big issue for you right here.)

        I think that was why.

Yeah. Without supervisor mode and split I/D-space, you will have very
little system pool. If you are not running a bunch of things on the
system, you should still be able to survive though.
Oh, and my TCP/IP will not work on those systems.

      THAT was it, I wanted to run your IP stack.   I ended up setting it up
(the OS, not yet your IP stack) on an 11/44 instead.

Yeah. My IP will not run on such machines, and I have no plans on ever
implementing it. It could be done, of course, but the work is no fun,
and I have so many other more important things to waste my time on... :-)

    Well I'd be one user, if you ever decide to do it.   I'd then bring up
the world's first PDP-11/34-based web server!

:-)
It's just a lot of work. First and foremost, the TCP driver would need to be chopped up, since it is today somewhere around 15K, and that would need to be divided into two segments of less than 8K, and then I'd have to do the calling between the segments. Second, a few tools like IFCONFIG would have to become overlaid in order to fit into memory. That is not as much work, though.

Start by getting some "modern" hardware instead, and run proper M+. :-) And then start writing some code to play with the network from RSX. It's really easy to write clients or servers under RSX.

I've done a C library and a BASIC+2 library so far, which are really easy to use. F77 and Pascal is on the list of things to do.