[HECnet] RSTS/E under simh

John Wilson wilson at dbit.com
Thu May 15 23:48:58 PDT 2014

From: <Paul_Koning at Dell.com>

Hm... disks have controller-specific boot blocks, but I thought tapes were
universal.

Yeah, the RSTS generic tape boot is quite a nice piece of black magic!
(And, not to beat a dead horse, but E11 likes it fine on all four tape
types and can mount raw real SCSI drives too, with the size you say.)

From: Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net>

I need the /physical/ drive size! Different systems give me different
sizes.

If you've got it on a real PDP-11, you can try my DUTEST program (from
RT-11, or if you have some other way to load it stand-alone and start it
at 1000, it doesn't actually need an OS):

	http://www.dbit.com/pub/pdp11/rt11/dutest.mac

It's a reverse-engineering tool (from when I was working on MSCP/TMSCP)
so the command set is pretty low-level, but this sequence should get you
the MSCP controller's idea of the unit size:

.RUN DUTEST
DUTEST   by John Wilson   <wilson at dbit.com>
Copyright (C) 1997-1999 by Digby's Bitpile, Inc.   All rights reserved.
=init
Returned values:   DI Step 1 bits 7:0=000 (documented as 000)
Port type = 0, reserved step 3 bits 10:8 = 0, model = 006, FW version = 02
=op scc
=g
=
Received packet:
SCC END
FLAGS=100000
Message credits:   8
=op onl
=unit 0
=g
=
Received packet:
ONLINE END
UNIT=0
UNIT SIZE=204800
Message credits:   8
=

"=" is the prompt.   Change "unit 0" to the actual MSCP unit.   And enter
a blank line after each "g" (go) command to make the program check for
response packets.   "op gus" (with "unit n" and "g") does a "get unit status"
command if you want more details about the drive.   "quit" halts (then 173000G
or CNTRL/BOOT or whatever, to reboot).

John Wilson
D Bit