[HECnet] RSTS/E under simh

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Thu May 15 22:48:34 PDT 2014

On Thu, 15 May 2014, Dave McGuire wrote:

I need the /physical/ drive size! Different systems give me different
sizes.

This, of course, should not happen.   The host should query the drive
for its size, in blocks...I don't know why a given host OS would give
you different numbers.

It is listed as 2G...the MicroVAX 3100 I wrote it with claims it's ~570M

I see from private email that you had started up the command interface
on your Qbus SCSI host adapter.   Is there a "scan the bus" command or
something like that in there, that might tell you the drive size in
blocks, from the perspective of that controller?   Alternatively, what I
do (as I mentioned in private mail) is to boot 2.11BSD from a different
device and look at the ra<n> probe messages for the device size.

It scans it...but it doesn't seem to list the size in blocks. :(

Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff
http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects