[HECnet] Kermit for RSTS/E

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Nov 15 18:17:56 PST 2014

On 2014-11-15 15:10, Cory Smelosky wrote:
On Sat, 15 Nov 2014, Cory Smelosky wrote:

I'll grab it and see if it works.   I do however need to find out why
my cluster boot node keeps rebooting on DECnet/LAT accesses.   More
reason to get the 4000 up I guess. ;)

Yup, that works...except on the VAX but it likely crashed shortly
after attempted login.   Terminal powered back on.

      Johnny

$ copy 9.1::sys$specific:[decnet]k11.tsk k11.tsk
                      Node: 9.1
                      User: csmelosky
              Password:
System Password:
?NFT -- Bad RFM field in FAB

What a helpful error message.

:-)

Anyway, K11.TSK is probably not what you want, since all the TSK files on MIM are RSX images. You probably want to grab all the sources, and the command files, and build it yourself.
I checked, and there are definitely RSTS/E build files in there.

As for the error message, knowing RMS helps. FAB is the File Access Block. RFM is (if I remember right) Record Format. Probably RSTS/E cannot just grok the record format of that file. You can give switches to NFT under RSX at least, to tell what the format should be when copying...

On MIM:
.nft help mode
  NFT has three modes of transfering the file data (BLOCK, RECORD and
  AUTOMATIC) and two file data types (IMAGE and ASCII).

  The default mode of transfer is AUTOMATIC (/AX).   NFT selects either
  BLOCK or RECORD mode to copy the file data depending on the remote
  system type and the device involved.

  In BLOCK mode (/BK), the file data is copied in 512. byte blocks.
  Block mode allows more efficient transfer of Sequential Variable format
  files, And it is the only way NFT will transfer RMS Relative and
  Indexed Sequential files.   The remote file system must be able to
  understand your file organizations, or the resultant files are useless.

  In RECORD mode, the file data is copied in records.   The remote system
  can store the data in the manner used on that system.   This less
  efficient since the individual records must be read and written to the
  file.

  The default data type, IMAGE (/IM), specifies that the file is to be
  transfered as 8 bit bytes and with no changes to the format.
  If the remote node does not support the current format or attributes
  the transfer will be rejected.

  The ASCII data type (/AS), specifies that the file contains ASCII
  text and can be converted to an appropriate format for the remote
  file system.   In particular NFT will convert Variable format files
  to Stream format when transfering to an RT-11, RSTS/E, or TOPS-20
  systems.   In order to properly convert these files, the ASCII switch
  will select RECORD mode transfer.