[HECnet] time-critical, need RSX sysgen help

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Apr 11 19:00:53 PDT 2015

On 04/11/2015 09:47 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:

>>> It's just that T-bit trap or BPT is not something you'd normally get
>>> here.
>>
>>    I thought that was the case, but I wasn't sure.  BPT is breakpoint
>> trap, isn't it??
>
> Yes, it is. And T-bit is when the T-bit in the PSW is set. That is how
> debuggers single step code. So T-bit and BPT are very much just two
> sides of the same coin.

  Oh yes, that is ringing a bell now.  I see how it makes no sense for
that to be happening here.

> Ok. Memory shortage is the one thing I can imagine could cause something
> like this. If a program runs out of memory, the programmer could just
> have thrown a BPT in there as a way of crashing out.
>
> Otherwise I'm not coming up with any good ideas here...

  :-(

  Ok.  Well I suppose my demo of an 11/34 could be trying to get through
a sysgen.  That certainly wasn't unusual in datacenters in the 1970s and
1980s! ;)

  I just don't want Yet Another PDP-11 Running RT-11.  RT-11 is great
for testing out a new machine, but it just doesn't DO very much, and
it's what everyone assumes every PDP-11 is running.

  My current sysgen attempt has reached the RSXASM stage.  I am walking
very gently around the racks..