[HECnet] time-critical, need RSX sysgen help

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Apr 11 18:47:11 PDT 2015

On 2015-04-12 03:41, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On 04/11/2015 09:37 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>>>     Do you really suspect hardware?  I have an XXDP pack that I can boot
>>> up, but I am so short of time...even slogging through the XXDP
>>> documentation will take half the night.
>>
>> It's just that T-bit trap or BPT is not something you'd normally get here.
>
>    I thought that was the case, but I wasn't sure.  BPT is breakpoint
> trap, isn't it??

Yes, it is. And T-bit is when the T-bit in the PSW is set. That is how
debuggers single step code. So T-bit and BPT are very much just two
sides of the same coin.

>> Are you running the baseline system, or have you done some previous
>> SYSGEN? If you run RMD, what can you see sitting in memory?
>
>    I'm running the baseline system.  I am booting the "BL" disk in DL0:,
> with "EXCPRV" in DL1:.  I have made three attempts, so there are files
> around from previous sysgens, but I answered "Y" when I'm asked if I
> want sysgen to clean those up.  I haven't done anything else on these
> packs; I created them from disk images this afternoon.
>
>    I have started another attempt; I assume it will crash in the same
> manner in a few minutes.  When it does, I will run RMD and let you know
> what else is hanging around.
>
>    Thank you for your help Johnny.  I am stressing bigtime about my exhibit.

Ok. Memory shortage is the one thing I can imagine could cause something
like this. If a program runs out of memory, the programmer could just
have thrown a BPT in there as a way of crashing out.

Otherwise I'm not coming up with any good ideas here...