[HECnet] "illegal record size" in RSX?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Apr 15 08:13:42 PDT 2015

On 2015-04-15 16:56, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:
> Stream-CR, interesting.

No, this is not the same as Stream-CR. RSX do not have the Stream-LF and
Stream-CR types.

The record attributes is a separate detail, which tells what is implied
at the end of each record, while the organization tells how records are
separated.

So, in this case, records are treated as stream. In RMS-11, this means
that ant CR+LF combo is treated as a record separator. And actually, a
single LF is also treated as a record separator. I should check the
manuals, but I think FF is also a record separator.
The record separator is not included in the read record.
And then the attributes tells you that in this case, each record is
supposedly a line with CR+LF at the end.

> I thought that you can adjust what Linux does, and a check of the manpage for dncopy confirms that.  The default record format is stream -- which is fine for Linux and RSTS, not so much for RSX.  To override it, add "-r var" to set the record format to variable, which is what RSX-like systems prefer.

Yeah. Seems like that might do the trick. Will be interesting to hear if
it works.

	Johnny