[HECnet] "illegal record size" in RSX?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Apr 15 08:41:39 PDT 2015

On 04/15/2015 11:13 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On 2015-04-15 16:56, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:
>> Stream-CR, interesting.
>
> No, this is not the same as Stream-CR. RSX do not have the Stream-LF and
> Stream-CR types.
>
> The record attributes is a separate detail, which tells what is implied
> at the end of each record, while the organization tells how records are
> separated.
>
> So, in this case, records are treated as stream. In RMS-11, this means
> that ant CR+LF combo is treated as a record separator. And actually, a
> single LF is also treated as a record separator. I should check the
> manuals, but I think FF is also a record separator.
> The record separator is not included in the read record.
> And then the attributes tells you that in this case, each record is
> supposedly a line with CR+LF at the end.
>
>> I thought that you can adjust what Linux does, and a check of the
>> manpage for dncopy confirms that.  The default record format is stream
>> -- which is fine for Linux and RSTS, not so much for RSX.  To override
>> it, add "-r var" to set the record format to variable, which is what
>> RSX-like systems prefer.
>
> Yeah. Seems like that might do the trick. Will be interesting to hear if
> it works.

  I've been down that road already. ;)  Copying it to a VMS system works
great and the file looks fine, but of course VMS is very good about Just
Handling Things.

  Copying it in with dncopy -r var hangs for a long time, then exits
saying "error closing output" on the Linux side.  The resultant file on
the RSX side is one line long, but the attributes are correct at least.
(format = variable length)  There's a trailing LF on that single line,
even when using -d with dncopy.

  I have another VMS system that has an IP stack installed (AXPEE::), I
will try to retrieve the file I'm using for testing via that, and copy
it via DECnet from there to the RSX system.  If that fails, I will try
using MIM as Johnny offered.

  Thank you for the suggestions, guys.  I appreciate everyone's help.
Again I am usually pretty self-sufficient about these matters; I have
the documentation and the skills to use it, but I am just short of time
with much to do before departure.  And it seems I've forgotten nearly
everything about RSX. :-/