[HECnet] "illegal record size" in RSX?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Apr 15 10:31:02 PDT 2015

On 2015-04-15 19:17, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
> Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> writes:
>
>> On 04/15/2015 11:58 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>>> Seems to me you are just hitting the problems with the Linux DECnet
>>> code, since that has pretty much only been tested against VMS, and
>>> probably are breaking the protocol all over the place...
>>> I know that transferring stream files from VMS to RSX works fine, with
>>> RSX converting them to variable length records.
>>> Like I said before, I have had essentially no luck in using Linux DECnet
>>> against RSX systems. Not only file transfers, but things like PHONE also
>>> do not work.
>>
>>   Yes, it looks like that's what's going on.  That sucks.  I would love
>> to pick up the maintenance of that code, but I don't know DECnet
>> internals at all and would be starting from scratch there.  I know I
>> could handle the code, but the required time to come up to speed is an
>> obstacle.
>
> I have, printed, all DECnet (circa Pase IV) specs here; however, they are
> on-line if you Google them.

Speaking of that, I became curious about a couple of details of the DAP
protocol when I was fixing the RSX implementation a while ago.
There are a couple of fields in that protocol that identifies the remote
operating system and remote file system, and obviously there are a whole
set of values these can have. I'd like to update those tables, but do
anyone have an fairly recent, authoritative source?
Also, RSX implements DAP V7.1, while VMS has DAP V7.2. Does anyone know
what the differences are?