[HECnet] "illegal record size" in RSX?

Wed Apr 15 10:46:19 PDT 2015

Each spec lists change history, so if you can find a DAP 7.2 spec that would give the answers.  Unfortunately, it appears that while Phase IV specs were all published, some of the incremental changes to those specs were not.  An example is the "Phase IV+" routing spec, which has a number of interesting changes such as a separate multicast address for L2 routing messages.  (Never mind the subsequent rev that, after a fashion, supported DECnet over 802.5 token ring.)

It looks like the same applies to DAP; the 5.6.0 spec is easily found, but I can't find anything newer.

In that spec, you'll find a list of values for the OSTYPE field, but there may be some new values that aren't shown (like DOS or Ultrix).  The ones shown will be correct, though (values were not reassigned to new meanings).

    paul
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE [owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE] on behalf of Johnny Billquist [bqt at softjar.se]
Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 1:31 PM
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Subject: Re: [HECnet] "illegal record size" in RSX?

Speaking of that, I became curious about a couple of details of the DAP
protocol when I was fixing the RSX implementation a while ago.
There are a couple of fields in that protocol that identifies the remote
operating system and remote file system, and obviously there are a whole
set of values these can have. I'd like to update those tables, but do
anyone have an fairly recent, authoritative source?
Also, RSX implements DAP V7.1, while VMS has DAP V7.2. Does anyone know
what the differences are?