[HECnet] "illegal record size" in RSX?

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Wed Apr 15 10:47:51 PDT 2015

Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> writes:

>On 2015-04-15 19:17, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
>> Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> writes:

>>>   Yes, it looks like that's what's going on.  That sucks.  I would love
>>> to pick up the maintenance of that code, but I don't know DECnet
>>> internals at all and would be starting from scratch there.  I know I
>>> could handle the code, but the required time to come up to speed is an
>>> obstacle.
>>
>> I have, printed, all DECnet (circa Pase IV) specs here; however, they are
>> on-line if you Google them.
>
>Speaking of that, I became curious about a couple of details of the DAP
>protocol when I was fixing the RSX implementation a while ago.
>There are a couple of fields in that protocol that identifies the remote
>operating system and remote file system, and obviously there are a whole
>set of values these can have. I'd like to update those tables, but do
>anyone have an fairly recent, authoritative source?
>Also, RSX implements DAP V7.1, while VMS has DAP V7.2. Does anyone know
>what the differences are?

The DAP spec. V5.6.0 says:

0 - Illegal
1 - RT-11
2 - RSTS/E
3 - RSX-11S
4 - RSX-11M
5 - RSX-11D
6 - IAS
7 - VAX/VMS
8 - TOPS-20
9 - TOPS-10
10- RTS-8
11- OS-8
12- RSX-11M+
13- COPOS/11 (TOPS-20 Front End)

I checked in LIB.REQ on VMS V8.4 and there are only symbolic definitions for
the first 5:

literal NMA$C_SYS_RST = 1;              !  Rsts
literal NMA$C_SYS_RSX = 2;              !  Rsx family
literal NMA$C_SYS_TOP = 3;              !  Tops-20
literal NMA$C_SYS_VMS = 4;              !  Vms
literal NMA$C_SYS_RT = 5;               !  RT-11

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker    VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG