[HECnet] "illegal record size" in RSX?

Wed Apr 15 11:10:41 PDT 2015

Interesting.  I was browsing through the Phase V specs I've managed to collect from the net (a pretty complete set, the main one missing is the DNS spec).  Among the obscure specs out there is the Token Ring Datalink spec (for Phase IV).  That one describes, in chapter 6, "Phase IV Prime", also known as "Routing using arbitrary MAC addresses".  This is a Phase IV variant that dumped the infamous "Hiord" prefix.

So while no Phase IV Prime spec was published, the details instead can be found in this token ring document instead.  Google for trn_dlspec_v100 , there's a copy at an FTP site in Jena.

     paul
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE [owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE] on behalf of Koning, Paul
Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 1:46 PM
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Subject: RE: [HECnet] "illegal record size" in RSX?

Each spec lists change history, so if you can find a DAP 7.2 spec that would give the answers.  Unfortunately, it appears that while Phase IV specs were all published, some of the incremental changes to those specs were not.  An example is the "Phase IV+" routing spec, which has a number of interesting changes such as a separate multicast address for L2 routing messages.  (Never mind the subsequent rev that, after a fashion, supported DECnet over 802.5 token ring.)