[HECnet] VCF East

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Fri Apr 24 03:39:52 PDT 2015

Gregg Levine <gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com> writes:

>Hello!
>Magic word is "Gack!". Now I place you. I asked Dave what was with the
>name on the Vax, and he confirmed it was yours. I wondered why it was
>named after a second stage booster back from our years of sending
>stuff into space, Think of the term, "Atlas-Agena" and you'll get my
>reasoning.

It was named after a star in Beta Centauri. ;)

>Dave was that the one who finally brought up the terminal server?
>Oddly enough I have here three Model 90 terminal servers, but they are
>the L Plus ones.

When I arrived, there was a sparsely populated DEChub90 with a DECrepeater,
IIRC (maybe it was a DECswitch) and a DECserver-90TL.  Steve was working on
getting the server image onto on of Dave's systems to MOP load it.  Because
I live close, I offered to run home and bring a couple of DECserver-90Ms as
they can boot off of their own flash.  I also brought some tools as my case
with my VLC.  Tools as I offered to make people MMJ cables once again and I
threw in the VLC just in case.  The in case proved to be a smart move.  My
VLC had VMS V7.3, DECnet/V and TCPIP Services, as well as a stockpile many
MOP load images.  Plugged in the VLC, booted it, defined the DECserver-90TL
by its ethernet address, and voila!

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker    VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG