[HECnet] VCF East

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Fri Apr 24 03:44:16 PDT 2015

Steve Davidson <steve at davidson.net> writes:

>AGENA:: (19.11) is part of the STARS:: cluster.  All of the nodes have
>the names of stars.  Ask Dave (or Brian) what the message from
>SYLOGIN.COM said...  :-)

:)

Star and Starlet; I know it well. ;)

FYI, I used to have a Sheltie.  Her registered name was Starlet-dot.MLB.
We called her Starlet for short.

>The DECserver-90TL was brought up by Brian and myself.  The
>DECserver-200 was brought up by Dave and myself after Dave was able to
>do a hardware reset on the unit.  Prior to that it was VERY confused.
>We spent a great deal of time trying to get files off the USB stick, in
>fact much more time than anything else.  The ISL configuration was easy
>(as usual with DEC).  The DECserver-90TL came right up - no issues.
>Everything was loaded from AGENA::.  Brian's machine was a "hot" backup
>should we have needed it.  The beauty of the 90TL was not only LAT but
>telnet.  Unfortunately we did not have time to make use of it.
>
>Also...  I did manage to get our wireless link up long enough for both
>Dave and I to VMS/Phone Fred Coffee in Ohio.  The MACbook did the best
>job holding the link.  Far better than the Linux or Windows system could
>manage.  Next year it will be a dedicated NetBSD platform just like what
>I use in my DEClab to support the bridge.  I would like to experiment
>with using LAT just like we do today between my network and the rest of
>the backbone.  If the link is robust enough then MOM/MOP might also be a
>possibility.  Imagine... DECservers be loaded "remotely"!

I'll just bring a DEChub-900 and DECserver-90Ms for you next year.  Also,
some DECswitch-90FE for 100MB connects to the 900 hub.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker    VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG