[HECnet] BLISS question

Tim Sneddon tim at sneddon.id.au
Fri Apr 24 07:55:12 PDT 2015

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 10:34 PM, Hans Vlems <hvlems at zonnet.nl> wrote:

> I'm cleaning up the attic and found a primer on BLISS as well as
> a BLISS reference manual.
> It's been a long time (1980-ish) since I'd last seen it and I wanted
> to refresh (well, actually update) my knowledge of that language.
>
> Now the primer refers to TUTIO.R32, which I found on a VAX.
> However I want to play with it on an Alpha (runs cooler than the VAX).
> After installing the BLISS kit that is on the freeware CD's there
> still was no STARLET.L32 (nor STARLET.L64) file in SYS$LIBRARY.
> TUTIO.R32 refers to STARLET.L32 so how do I get it?

You can to the right place, there are not many of us (BLISS programmers)
left.

TUTIO.R32 might not be anywhere in the kits.  I'm pretty sure I have it
floating around (I'll go have a look).  As for creating the libraries, you
can use:

$ BLISS/LIBRARY=SYS$COMMON:[SYSLIB] SYS$LIBRARY:STARLET.REQ
$ BLISS/LIBRARY=SYS$COMMON:[SYSLIB] SYS$LIBRARY:LIB.REQ

That will give you the 32-bit stuff.  For the 64-bit, you need to add in
the right qualifier.  For Alpha it is BLISS/A64 and for Itanium it is
BLISS/I64.

Incidentally, if you ever decide you don't want those BLISS manuals, you
are more than welcome to send them my way.  I have a small collection of
manuals, books and internal DEC training material on this stuff.  I'm
hoping to get most of it on-line real soon now (http://bliss-lang.org when
it is eventually done...).

Regards, Tim.