[HECnet] installing LPs on RSX

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Apr 27 12:37:02 PDT 2015

  So I'm back to hacking on RSX-11M-Plus again, this time in a more
leisurely fashion, and under simh on a laptop since I'm still stuck in
bed with the "Primus Plague" that I caught while at VCF.

  I'm trying to install C and F77 from .tpc files in the trailing-edge
archive, and I'm failing miserably.  I've attached them to tq0 and have
tried every possible combination of FORMAT=TPC/FORMAT=SIMH, use of
mtcvt23, etc and cannot get past "tape label error on MU0:" from
autoins.cmd.

  Doing this under RSTS/E is a breeze, and I expected it to be even
easier under RSX.

  I assume I'm not the first person to hit this problem.  Before I dig
deeper and spend a lot of time, does anyone know what's going on?