[HECnet] installing LPs on RSX

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Apr 27 12:48:24 PDT 2015

On 2015-04-27 21:37, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    So I'm back to hacking on RSX-11M-Plus again, this time in a more
> leisurely fashion, and under simh on a laptop since I'm still stuck in
> bed with the "Primus Plague" that I caught while at VCF.
>
>    I'm trying to install C and F77 from .tpc files in the trailing-edge
> archive, and I'm failing miserably.  I've attached them to tq0 and have
> tried every possible combination of FORMAT=TPC/FORMAT=SIMH, use of
> mtcvt23, etc and cannot get past "tape label error on MU0:" from
> autoins.cmd.
>
>    Doing this under RSTS/E is a breeze, and I expected it to be even
> easier under RSX.
>
>    I assume I'm not the first person to hit this problem.  Before I dig
> deeper and spend a lot of time, does anyone know what's going on?

I don't know what you are doing, but it sounds strange.

If you have figured out how to attach tpc format tape files for use
under RSTS/E, then you are good. The same procedure is used for RSX.
This is on the simh side of things...

When we're talking about usage inside RSX, you need to mount the tape
/FOREIGN. I hope you did that, otherwise I don't know what the results
(error) will be, but maybe this is your problem?