[HECnet] installing LPs on RSX

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Apr 27 13:01:30 PDT 2015

On 04/27/2015 03:48 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>>    So I'm back to hacking on RSX-11M-Plus again, this time in a more
>> leisurely fashion, and under simh on a laptop since I'm still stuck in
>> bed with the "Primus Plague" that I caught while at VCF.
>>
>>    I'm trying to install C and F77 from .tpc files in the trailing-edge
>> archive, and I'm failing miserably.  I've attached them to tq0 and have
>> tried every possible combination of FORMAT=TPC/FORMAT=SIMH, use of
>> mtcvt23, etc and cannot get past "tape label error on MU0:" from
>> autoins.cmd.
>>
>>    Doing this under RSTS/E is a breeze, and I expected it to be even
>> easier under RSX.
>>
>>    I assume I'm not the first person to hit this problem.  Before I dig
>> deeper and spend a lot of time, does anyone know what's going on?
>
> I don't know what you are doing, but it sounds strange.

  I agree! :)

> If you have figured out how to attach tpc format tape files for use
> under RSTS/E, then you are good. The same procedure is used for RSX.
> This is on the simh side of things...

  Yeah, it's no problem under RSTS/E.

> When we're talking about usage inside RSX, you need to mount the tape
> /FOREIGN. I hope you did that, otherwise I don't know what the results
> (error) will be, but maybe this is your problem?

  Nope, I did that.

  I saw a warning in the beginning ("BRU -- *WARNING* -- Tape label
error on MU0: I/O error code -10"), and then toward the end:

Reading CCCCCC.CFG.

Transferring kit files to work area.

BRU -- *WARNING* -- Tape label error on MU0:
I/O error code -10

BRU - Starting Tape 1 on MU0:

BRU - End of Tape 1 on MU0:

BRU - Completed

FATAL -- error copying backup sets; procedure aborting.

  ...so it definitely sees files on the tape, but bombs occasionally.
Have you seen this behavior before?